Had various friends offer help in various ways which is awesome of them. One of them was also made redundant in Jan. He ‘was’ looking for a May start but is actually about to start his 2nd new job as he was offered something almost immediately when he started networking. His tips are:
- If you want a break, take it and don’t apply for things as when you get an offer it’s hard to decline.
- When you decide to look, network first with your contact base of ex-colleagues and any clients.
- Try agencies
Good advice I think.
I have been working on putting together my own app toolset to replace my corporate based ones. I’m currently trialling:
- Kanbanchi – work/career – Kanban based task board integrated with Google Drive and Calendar.
- Habitica – personal tasks/goals – gamification of tasks and to-do lists.
- ProjectTimer – taskbar app for tracking time spent on projects, e.g. Job Search vs IT skills vs Tools Setup
In conjunction with this I’ve also been writing some notes on task management and planning. Quote of the day is:
“Plan to spend about 30 hours a week on activities directly related to your job search.”
Hence the focus on project planning as I intend to spend time on coding/IT skills as well as Job Search.
p.s. decided to ditch the day count 🙂