My Dad presented me with a bag of rhubarb from his allotment and this recipe for a crumble. This is one hell of a tasty recipe and its super easy. If one thing will convince you to grow rhubarb then this is it. As it’s just oats, fruit, nuts and honey it’s also basically … breakfast! 2 courses in 1! Serve hot, eat the leftovers (if there is any) out of the fridge. The making-of is a no-brainer: cook up the fruit base, cover with the crumble topping, bake. Done!
|For the fruit base||For the crumble topping|
|3 medium eating apples||5 tbsp coconut/sunflower oil|
|500g rhubarb||150g oats|
|125g raspberries||50g ground almonds|
|2 tbsp honey/maple syrup/agave syrup||3 tbsp pumpkin seeds|
|2tsp ground cinnamon||3 tbsp sunflower seeds|
|1 tsp ground ginger||6 tbsp honey/maple syrup/agave syrup|
- Heat oven to 140C (fan)
- Chop apples into bite-size/largish pieces so there’s some chunks left after cooking
- Trim rhubarb and cut into bite-size pieces (this is basically going to totally disintegrate whatever)
- Put apples, rhubarb, honey, cinnamon, ginger and 4tbsp water in a pot ( I used honey but you can see other suggestions above – it’s a lot of honey so make sure you’ve got a lot in your honey pot ).
- Bring to boil and simmer until it’s broken down into a mixture. Now you either add the raspberries at the beginning of this or the end depending how you like them. I went for at the end so they didn’t turn to mush and stopped when the apple still had some shape.. ish. Add water as needed if it is drying out.
- Spread the cooked fruit into a flan-like dish. My advice is to do this and leave it to cool and set a bit. It means your crumble topping sits more nicely on the top.
- For the crumble topping, mix all the ingredients together. If your coconut oil ( I used sunflower oil) or your honey is super hard ( mine was, softening would have made mixing a lot easier) you might need to soften it.
- Spread it over the fruit and bake for 20-25 mins or until you’ve got a nice golden top.
( Typing this up has made me seriously need to make some more )