When I met my career advisor, we did an exercise with cards of job characteristics. I thought this would be helpful in defining the general specification of what I want from work. The exercise is to place cards in columns from Very Important to Not Important. However, you can then move them into just 2 columns to make it more black and white.
- Short travel distance to work (< 1hr). Or WFH AT LEAST 2 days a week.
- 2 days at home would allow 4 work outs a week and a dog run every other day
- Being able to balance work and home life
- Being independent and making my own decisions but also having someone for support
- Being given the opportunity to develop my skills
- Demonstrating expertise and skills
- Doing a variety of things. Being creative and generating ideas.
- Being independent
- Being respected for honesty and integrity
- Doing exact and detailed work
- Not being away from home alot
- Being able to work at own pace
- Stretch and challenge in my role
- Flexibility both ways
- Not being put under a lot of personal pressure
- Not micro managed
- Clear rules for development/role
- Having a secure and regular income
- Earning the same amount of money that I did
- Managing people or projects
- Seniority, e.g. being a V.P.
- Working as a specialist rather than a generalist
- Working on complex and difficult problems
- Friendships at work if this means not liking working alone
- Following a routine
- Being part of a highly effective team
- Contact with people as part of my role
- Helping others at work
The points about people and teams are things I have liked about my past work but if I was forced to choose I would rather WFH.